Salam Jumaat. Another week has passed, and where are we now. Are we there yet? Hehe.. Today I just want to ponder about depression.
We always heard people talking about them feeling depress. Pressure of everyday life, at workplace, or even at home sometimes makes people stress out. However there's a big difference between just feeling blue or a bit gloomy and clinical depression. Sadly that we use the same term for this different thins; a low mood and an illness that is diagnosable. This shows that we often fail to recognize the symptoms of depression and thus don't get the right treatment. Severe depression, at its worst, could end up with suicide.
When you have at least five of these symptoms, and you've been experiencing them for at least two weeks, then you might want to seek a medical help:
- Depressed mood (feeling sad or low)
- Loss of interest or pleasure (in activities you normally enjoy)
- Significant appetite or weight loss or gain
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (sleeping too little or too much)
- Psychomotor agitation or retardation (being restless and jittery, or alternatively, slower than usual)
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt
- Impaired thinking or concentration; indecisiveness
- Suicidal thoughts/thoughts of death.
For most people, majority of them, with the symptoms listed above don't go to see a doctor in the first place. This is because they don't see it as a medical problem. They thought it is just their own crisis and problems in their lives. Others might not want to be labeled as 'psycho'. Furthermore, even doctors sometimes don't recognize depression, as patients come in and complain more about physical symptoms rather than emotional.
Aiman's creativity, while having the camera in his hands.
I do experience no. 4, both of them, so just one symptom doesn't count. Kadang2 tido lama, kadang2 tak tido langsung. We might find some of these symptoms are mundane, but having them continuously for months or years are just not normal.
Sebagai muslim, kita diajar berbagai cara untuk merawat hati. Berzikir, baca Al-Quran dan mengingati Allah dapat mententeramkan hati, justeru merawat akal fikiran supaya boleh kembali berfikir dengan waras untuk menyelesaikan segala masalah yang melanda. Zikir, fikir dan kembali kepada Allah.